Bisons Too Much for Horns

Bisons Too Much for Horns

Lethbridge – Solid shooting from all angles led the University of Manitoba Bisons to a commanding 4-1 win against the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns, Friday night, in the first of a two-game weekend series.


Jessica Rosenbaum scored twice and Kayleigh Weins, amd Alana Serhan each netted individual markers for the Bisons, while Kirsten Reeves scored the lone Lethbridge goal.


Rachel Dyck got the start for Manitoba and went on to stop all but one of the 22 shots she faced on the night.


Crystal Patterson started in net for Lethbridge and faced a total of 38 shots.


It took less than a minute for Manitoba to register the first goal of the night. A lucky bounce off of a Lethbridge defender earned Wiens her first of the season, from Courtlyn Oswald and Lauryn Keen, fifty-one seconds into the opening frame.


The Bisons maintained the offensive pressure and Patterson was put to the test early. Rosenbaum doubled-up her teams lead, at 6:17, putting a quick wrister five-hole, between the pads of the Lethbridge keeper, giving her team an early 2-0 lead.


Manitoba was able to generate a flurry of great scoring chances in the opening period and Patterson was forced to stop great efforts by Alana Serhan, Kayleigh Wiens, Jayden Skoleski, and skillfully turned aside two hard blasts from the point, courtesy of Megan Tully.


At the other end of the ice, Kirsten Reeves tried desperately to find a way to get the puck past the Manitoba keeper, putting a number of shots on target but none that managed to find their way through.


With Cassandra Taylor in the penalty box for tripping, Reeves persistence in the crease finally paid off. The fourth-year forward unloaded a hard angle, off-balance, shot that soared overtop of Dyck's glove-side shoulder and into the net, cutting the Manitoba lead in half, as the first period drew to a close. 


Late in the second period, despite her best efforts, an outstretched Patterson couldn't stop the barrage of Bisons in the crease, each hacking away and looking for a piece of the puck. Amid the scramble, Serhan managed to get control of it, pushing a shot over the line to re-establish a comfortable two-goal lead.


Rosenbaum added her second goal of the night midway through the third period. As her shot hit a Pronghorn stick and slowly trickled over the line and into the back of the net.


With this win the Bisons improve to 11-5-1 while the Pronghorns sit at 4-13-0. Game two of the weekend series goes tomorrow night, at 7pm, at Nicholas Sheran Arena.