Canada West Communications
To get you set for this weekend’s Canada West women's hockey action, here are some storylines from around the conference in the first edition of Ice Chips.
Defending champs set for home opener
Connor Hood, Bears and Pandas Athletics
EDMONTON, AB - The defending Canada West champion University of Alberta Pandas hockey team (1-0-1-0) will kick off their 2015 home schedule this weekend, as they host the undefeated University of Lethbridge Pronghorns (2-0-0-0). Game times are set for 7:00 p.m. on Friday night and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon at Clare Drake Arena.
Alberta opened the season on the road, as they split their season-opening match-up’s with the Manitoba Bisons in Winnipeg, dropping a 2-1 decision, before shutting out the home team 4-0 in game two. The Pandas have consistency throughout their lineup, as they received goals from five different players.
Huskies look to continue strong start
Daniel Herrick, Huskie Athletics
SASKATOON, SK - After opening the season with a weekend sweep, the University of Saskatchewan Huskies look to keep the early season momentum going as they host the University of Calgary Dinos this weekend.
- Saskatchewan has started the season 2-0 for the first time since 2010-11.
- The Huskies had two first-year's score in their first goal in the season opener.
- The first CIS Women's Hockey Top 10 will be released October 13.
- Reigning Canada West MVP, Calgary's Iya Gavrilova, visits Saskatoon looking for her first goal of the season after scoring a league-high 21 in 2014-15.
- The two teams last met in the 2014-15 Canada West Quarter-final series in Calgary. The Dinos eliminated the Huskies with a 2-0 series win.
Mount Royal welcomes UBC to town
For a look at the video preview, click here.