Bisons fall 2-1 to Regina at home in women's hockey

Bisons fall 2-1 to Regina at home in women's hockey

WINNIPEG – Jaycee Magwood's third period goal proved to be the game winner on Friday, November 27 night, as the University of Regina Cougars women's hockey team topped the Manitoba Bisons 2-1 at the Wayne Fleming Arena.

Magwood slid a loose puck past Bison goalie Rachel Dyck just 5:11 into the third, and it would prove to be enough, as the Cougars survived a strong push from home side to pick up the win.

Regina got tremendous play from goaltender Toni Ross in the victory, as she stopped 24 of 25 shots.

The first 20 minutes were fast-paced Bison style hockey, as the home side generated numerous opening period chances thanks to their speed and effective fore-checking.

The tide truly turned Manitoba's way after a boarding penalty to Regina's Nikki Watters-Matthes, just over 10 minutes in, as the herd spent virtually the entire second half of the period in the visitor's zone.

The ensuing man advantage saw effective chances from defenceman Caitlin Fyten, and forwards Karissa Kirkup and Charity Price, however none were able to solve Ross.

With just under five minutes to go in the first frame, Price was gifted with yet another brilliant chance as she was fed the puck wide open in front, but yet again couldn't solve Ross as both teams went into the break scoreless.

The middle frame featured back-and-forth action, and yet again it was the final 10 minutes where the intensity picked up.

With just over nine minutes left in the second, Regina forward Kylie Gavelin was left wide open with a loose puck in the Bisons crease. Just as it appeared she was about to get the visitors on the board, Dyck stuck her left pad out to rob the veteran of the game's opening goal.

The Cougars wouldn't go away though, as forward Bailey Braden was able to open the scoring with 6:33 left, tapping in a stray puck that Dyck was unable to secure on a dump-in.

Braden's goal woke up the Bisons, as less than a minute later, winger Venla Hovi sped through the neutral zone, and found streaking centre Courtlyn Oswald who made no mistake, wristing a shop top-shelf over Ross to tie the game heading into the second intermission.

Regina pressed to start the final frame, almost capitalizing on a scramble in front of Dyck in the first minute of play. The Cougars continued to battle and were eventually rewarded at 5:11 with Magwood's game winner.

The Herd mounted a valiant effort in the final 14 minutes, but couldn't solve Ross, as she stayed on her toes to preserve the win.

Tomorrow's rematch goes tomorrow afternoon (Sat., Nov. 28) at 4 p.m. CT at Wayne Fleming Arena.