Bisons earn 1-0 shutout in Women's Hockey against the Regina Cougars

Written by: Devon Shewchuk


On Saturday, November 28, the Bison women's hockey team rebounded from a tough 2-1 loss on Friday to defeat the Regina Cougars by a 1-0 score to split the weekend series at home at the Wayne Fleming Arena.


Bison goalie Rachel Dyck earned the shutout, saving all 34 shots on net and increasing her team's record to 9-7-0.


"Tonight was gritty, tough, and physical… It's like we were playing playoff hockey in November," said Bisons' head coach Jon Rempel. 


The aggressive opening period proved to set the tone for the rest of the evening's game.


The home team generated multiple scoring chances, with 17 shots on net compared to the visiting team's eight in the first 20 minutes. 


Regina forward Stephanie Sawchuk took a two-minute penalty for hooking at 9:04. Soon after, Bisons defence Caitlyn Fyten snapped a quick shot to teammate Erica Rieder, who nearly scored after firing a shot on Cougars' netminder Toni Ross, who made an impressive glove-side save.


The Herd was given a short three-on-five advantage after Nikki Watters-Matthes took a penalty for body checking. 


Despite their best efforts, the home team was unable to produce an opening period goal during the power play.


The middle-frame was dominated by the Cougars, who made an impressive 11 shots on net compared to the Bisons, who only created four scoring opportunities.  


After her second period penalty for hooking, Bisons forward Alexandra Anderson excited the crowd after a breakaway in the final ten seconds of play. Despite her attempt, she was unable to solve Ross.


It was an evenly matched third period, as both teams were provided with equal scoring opportunity. Nearing the last five minutes of the third, Regina forward Jaycee Magwood took a two-minute penalty for hooking.  


Caitlyn Fyten was an asset to the Bisons during the power play, shooting three times on net. The third shot proved to be the charm, as she fired it just past the blue line, and into the top right corner of the visiting team's net. 


With the score 1-0 for Manitoba, Regina began to press in the last two minutes of play, almost capitalizing on a scramble in front of Manitoba's net. 


Though they pulled their goalie, Regina was unable to score as the clock ticked down. 


The puck will drop again for the Bisons after the winter break, in Edmonton against the Alberta Pandas, on Friday, January 8, 2016 at 8 p.m. CT. The Regina Cougars will travel to play the Calgary Dinos on January 8, 7 p.m. MT.