Bisons Hand Cougars 4-1 Loss

Bisons Hand Cougars 4-1 Loss

Bisons Hand Cougars 4-1 Loss

Brendan Stasiewich, Mount Royal Cougars Sports Information

CALGARY, AB- On Friday evening at the Flames Community Arenas the University of Manitoba Bisons (10-8-0-1) dominated play and took down the Mount Royal Cougars (7-9-2-1) by a score of 4-1. 


Lauryn Keen, Lindsay Bright, Alexandra Anderson and Karissa Kirkup scored for the Bisons while Talia Terry scored the Cougars lone marker. 


Mount Royal had the first good opportunity of the game seven minutes in when Megan Carver came streaking down the left side of the ice on a two on one. With the defenseman sprawling on the ice to take away the potential pass, Carver tried to go short side on Dyck but barely missed the net.


The Bisons controlled the remainder of the frame, outshooting the Cougars 13-3 as Mount Royal were plagued by turnovers and the inability to clear the puck out of their zone. 


Manitoba's best scoring chance came with six minute left in the period when Cougars' goalie Jessica Ross slid across the net, ending up out of position. With a Manitoba player on the doorstep with the puck, Cougars' defenseman Jocelyn Frolich, one of the strongest Cougars' on the ice during the game, made an unselfish play, going down to block the hard shot, preventing a sure Bisons' goal. 


Despite being heavily outplayed in the first period, Mount Royal struck first just two minutes into the second period. Rachel Dyck turned aside a shot taken by Janessa Jenkins in the slot, but let out a rebound that found the stick of rookie Talia Terry. Terry sent a quick snapshot past Dyck for her second goal of the season. 


The Bisons answered just minutes later on a powerplay. After some good puck movement the puck made its way to the point where Cailtin Fyten sent a shot through traffic. Lauryn Keen neatly tipped the puck on its way through Ross for her second on the year. 


The Bisons took the lead just 23 seconds into the third period. Lauryn Keen surprised Ross by firing a shot on net from the corner. While going down, the puck just barely squeaked through Ross' pads and sat in the blue paint just shy of the goal line. Lindsay Blight was just a few strides away and managed to get to the puck before Ross, giving her team the lead. 


The Cougars were given an unbelievable chance with just over four minutes left when the Bisons took a hooking and holding penalty on the same play. Seconds later the Bisons would take another penalty, giving the Cougars an extended 5 on 3 with another power play to follow.


Just seconds away from killing off the 5 on 3, Cougars defenseman Shawni Rodeback took a cross-ice pass and sent a one timer at the Bisons net. Dyck made an exceptional effort to get all the way across the net to make the great save look easy. 


A Cougars penalty on the very next play would make it a 4 on 3. The Bisons would seal the deal shortly after when Alexandra Anderson rushed the Cougars' net from the point and scored a shorthanded marker. 


With the game all but over Karissa Kirkup put the puck into an empty Cougars net to give Manitoba a 4-1 victory. 


Rachel Dyck (8-6-1) made 26 saves on 27 shots to give her squad some breathing room ahead of Mount Royal in the standings. Meanwhile Jessica Ross (3-6-0) stopped 29 of 32 shots in the loss.


The teams will be back at it tomorrow in a matinee affair going down at 3 P.M at the Flames Community Arenas.