Bisons force Game 3 with 5-1 win

Bisons force Game 3 with 5-1 win

By: Daniel Herrick, Huskie Athletics

SASKATOON – The University of Manitoba Bisons scored five unanswered goals on Saturday night to defeat the University of Saskatchewan Huskies 5-1 at Rutherford Rink.

Manitoba's win forces Game 3 of this Canada West quarter-final series after the Huskies won 3-0 on Friday.

Saskatchewan's Julia Flinton scored the lone Huskie goal. Venla Hovie scored twice for Manitoba. Alanna Sharman, Laruryn Keen and Kayleigh Vause also scored as the Bisons strung together five straight in the win.

Saskatchewan scored its goal late in the first period to take the early lead. Julia Flinton's point shot found its way past a screened Manitoba goalie Amanda Schubert at 18:43. Bohlken and Flinton passed the puck back and forth at the point before Flinton wired it home.

The Huskies couldn't celebrate their lead for very long. Alanna Sharman and Venla Hovi broke in on a 2-on-1 just before the buzzer sounded to end the first period. Sharman threw a cross-ice pass over to Hovi who extended her stick with one hand as far as she could, redirecting the puck in past Huskie goalie Cassidy Hendricks at 19:47.

Sharman nearly put the Bisons up a goal early in the second period short-handed. With the Huskies opening the period on the power-play Sharman blocked a point shot and raced in alone on Hendricks. The Huskie netminder poked the puck away before Sharman could get a good shot on it.

Manitoba would break through midway through the second when Hovi tallied for a second time. A loose puck at the side of the net bounced to Hovi who made no mistake bulging the twine again at 9:57.

With their first lead of the night, the Bisons looked for more. At 16:35, they found the insurance they were looking for. Lauryn Keen and Alnna Sharman hit the Huskie zone with speed after a turnover. Keen left the puck for Sharman who made a quick move around Hendricks to make it 3-1 Bisons.

Manitoba took control of Game 2 early in the third period. After assisting on the first three goals of the night, Keen scored one for herself at 5:03. Keen took the puck at the Huskie blue line after a pass from Sharman, and quickly sent her shot to the back of the net to give the visitors a commanding 4-1 lead.

Kayleigh Wiens added an extra goal at 14:37, splitting through the Huskie defence before beating Hendricks.

Schubert made 22 saves in the game for the Bisons. Hendricks stopped 19 shots for Saskatchewan.

Game 3 is slated for 7 p.m. Sunday night at Rutherford Rink.