The late Fred "Gus" Collins was a long-time contributor to the development, success and promotion of Canada West Athletics, notably through his endless effort to produce updated, accurate statistical information to all media in an era long before laptops and spreadsheets.
The Fred "Gus" Collins Award is presented annually to a member of the media who works tirelessly covering Canada West and it student-athletes. The winner becomes the Canada West nominee for the Fred Sgambati Award, which is presented by U SPORTS to a member of the news media, who has made a major contribution to the development and growth of U SPORTS.
A former University of Toronto athlete and University football official, Fred Sgambati was the radio voice of the College Bowl (now the Vanier Cup) for its first 13 years, and was a well-respected reporter/broadcaster, who was a great supporter of university athletics in Canada.
Fred 'Gus' Collins Award Winners
- 2018-19: Marty Hastings, Kamloops This Week
- 2017-18: Jason Hills, Postmedia (Edmonton)
- *2016-17: Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist (Victoria)
- *2015-16: Rita Mingo, Postmedia (Calgary)
- 2014-15: Earl Seitz, CFJC TV/B-100 / CIFM Radio (Kamloops)
- *2013-14: Darren Zary, StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)
- 2012-13: Ron Rauch, Times Colonist (Victoria)
- 2011-12: Evan Daum, Edmonton Journal / CJSR
- 2010-11: David Larkins, Brandon Sun
- 2009-10: Esther Madziya, Global TV (Saskatoon)
- *2008-09: Howard Tsumara, Vancouver Province
- 2007-08: Jason Pires, A-Channel (Victoria)
- 2006-07: Neil Shewchuk, CK750 (Saskatoon)
- 2005-06: Howard Tsumara, Vancouver Province
- *2004-05: Ian Hamilton, Leader-Post (Regina)
*denotes Fred Sgambati Award winners