Evan Daum, Canada West Communications
EDMONTON – Canada’s premier volleyball conference returns to action Friday, October 19, as the 2018-19 Canada West men’s and women’s volleyball schedules were released Wednesday.
The schedules were the latest to be unveiled by the conference, with basketball set to be released Thursday, and the conference’s championship sport tournament dates coming out next week (schedule release dates listed below).
- Click here for the complete 2018-19 CW men’s volleyball schedule
- Click here for the complete 2018-19 CW women’s volleyball schedule
- Trinity Western (men’s) and Calgary (women’s) are looking to defend their CW titles, while UBC enters the season as the defending U SPORTS men’s champions
- The 2019 U SPORTS women’s championship is set for March 14-17 at Alberta
Among the best matchups opening weekend (Oct. 19-20), is UBC hosting Alberta in Vancouver. The pair combined for 39 men’s regular season wins last season, while the women finished with 35. Both schools are coming off strong seasons, and will the enter the season intent on adding to their respective trophy cases.
In terms of defending Canada West champions, the Trinity Western Spartans men’s side and the Calgary Dinos women’s squad are hoping to recapture last season’s success. TWU won’t open men’s play until the second week of the season when they travel to UBCO, while the Dinos women’s title defence opens Oct. 19 at home against Thompson Rivers.
The regular season will end Saturday, February 16, making way for the conference best-of-three quarters Feb. 21-24. Canada West semifinal action is set for Feb. 28 to March 3, while the CW championship game will be played either March 8 or 9.
U SPORTS action takes over March 14-17, as the UBC Thunderbirds look to defend their title at Université Laval, while Alberta welcomes the top women’s players to the Saville Community Sports Centre in Edmonton.
Again this season, you can watch every CW volleyball regular season and playoff game on Canada West TV – the official streaming home of Canada West. 2018-19 Canada West TV passes go on sale Thursday, June 21.
CW schedule release dates:
- Field hockey: Wednesday, June 6
- Rugby 15s: Thursday, June 7
- Soccer: Thursday, June 14
- Hockey: Tuesday, June 19
- Basketball: Thursday, June 21
- Championship sports (swimming, curling, wrestling, track & field): Thursday, June 28