Evan Daum, Canada West Communications
EDMONTON – Following a successful inaugural season in 2017, the Canada West Football Showcase will be back on televisions across Western Canada for the next three years.
Canada West and SaskTel announced a multi-year football broadcast rights extension on Tuesday, as conference regular season and playoff games will be televised through the 2020 season. The games will once again be available on SaskTel maxTV in the province of Saskatchewan, and TELUS Optik TV in British Columbia and Alberta.
Details on distribution of the Canada West Football Showcase in the province of Manitoba will be released in the coming days, prior to the start of the regular season.
2018 games can be seen on channels 348/349 HD and 48/49 SD on SaskTel, and on TELUS channels 997/998 HD and 9997/9998 SD.
- Canada West football has locked up a television home for the next three seasons, as the conference and SaskTel have agreed on an extension for the Canada West Football Showcase
- Last season marked the first season of Canada West’s partnership with SaskTel
- A total of 15 games will be televised as Showcase games this season, including the 82nd Hardy Cup on Saturday, Nov. 10
- The regular season opens Friday, Aug. 31 when Regina hosts Calgary and Saskatchewan welcomes Alberta
Monday’s announcement continues Canada West and SaskTel’s partnership, as both parties remain committed to showcasing student-athletes, who excel in the classroom and on the field of play.
“After a successful debut last season, we are excited to extend the Canada West Football Showcase for an additional three seasons,” said Clint Hamilton, Canada West President. “SaskTel’s commitment to Canada West football has provided a tremendous opportunity for us to partner with a company that is passionate about showcasing our outstanding student-athletes.”
“We look forward to fans across Western Canada getting the chance to see conference football action across the distribution network, thanks to the ongoing support of SaskTel, along with their distribution partners.”
A total of 15 games will be televised across the distribution network this season, including the 82nd Hardy Cup, which will be played on Saturday, November 10.
For fans in the province of Saskatchewan, every Regina Rams and Saskatchewan Huskies game will be available on SaskTel maxTV.
“We are thrilled to once again partner with Canada West and to be the exclusive television broadcaster for Huskies and Rams football for the next three seasons,” said Doug Burnett, Acting SaskTel President and CEO. “With knowledgeable and devoted fans throughout the province, Saskatchewan is widely regarded as the epicentre of football in Canada. With this new agreement in place, we’re looking forward to continuing to showcase the incredible talent and sportsmanship that is synonymous with university football in Saskatchewan and Western Canada.”
Year two of the CW Football Showcase begins with an opening night double-header on Friday, August. 31, as Regina hosts Calgary (7 p.m. CST) and Saskatchewan welcomes Alberta (7 p.m. CST).
BROADCAST TALENT RETURNS
After making his Canada West television debut last season, Edmonton based Dustin Nielson will return this season as the primary play-by-play voice for Canada West football.
Host of The Nielson Show on TSN 1260, the Cranbrook, B.C. native has been the voice of Alberta Golden Bears hockey and football for the past eight seasons, and has also been a part of CFL broadcasts as sideline reporter for TSN.
A familiar and trusted voice in the province of Saskatchewan, Wray Morrison will be back behind the mic this season providing play-by-play.
The veteran broadcaster, who is based out of Saskatoon and is Sports Director for Rawlco Radio, is well-versed in Canada West football after calling dozens of games over the last decade.
Also joining the broadcasts this season will be former Regina Ram and Saskatchewan Roughrider Jason Clermont, Justin Dunk of 3DownNation, and veteran CW broadcaster Darren Dupont among others.
WATCH EVERY CW GAME ON CANADA WEST TV
Fans can watch every Canada West football regular season and playoff game this season on Canada West TV – the official streaming home of the conference.
The 2018-19 athletic season marks the conference’s second year with Yare Media, who partnered with Canada West to provide customers with the optimal viewing experience based on their device and internet connectivity.
2018-19 season passes are available here, with early bird pricing in effect until Friday, August 24.
2018 CANADA WEST FOOTBALL SHOWCASE GAMES
- Friday, Aug. 31 / Calgary vs. Regina / Mosaic Stadium / Regina, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Friday, Aug. 31 / Alberta vs. Saskatchewan / Griffiths Stadium / Saskatoon, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Friday, Sept. 7 / Saskatchewan vs. Manitoba / Investors Group Field / Winnipeg, MB / 7 p.m. CDT
- Friday, Sept. 14 / UBC vs. Regina / Mosaic Stadium / Regina, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Friday, Sept. 14 / Calgary vs. Saskatchewan / Griffiths Stadium / Saskatoon, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Friday, Sept. 21 / Regina vs. Saskatchewan / Griffiths Stadium / Saskatoon, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Saturday, Sept. 22 / Calgary vs. UBC / Thunderbird Stadium / Vancouver, BC / 5 p.m. PDT
- Friday, Sept. 28 / UBC vs. Alberta / Foote Field / Edmonton, AB / 7 p.m. MDT
- Friday, Oct. 12 / Alberta vs. Regina / Mosaic Stadium / Regina, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Friday, Oct. 19 / Regina vs. Calgary / McMahon Stadium / Calgary, AB / 7 p.m. MDT
- Saturday, Oct. 20 / Manitoba vs. Saskatchewan / Griffiths Stadium / Saskatoon, SK / 2 p.m. CST
- Friday, Oct. 26 / Saskatchewan vs. Regina / Mosaic Stadium / Regina, SK / 7 p.m. CST
- Saturday, Nov. 3 / Hardy Cup Semifinals (3 @ 2 / 4 @ 1)
- Saturday, Nov. 10 / 82nd Hardy Cup
NOTE: All games above are available on SaskTel, TELUS, and Canada West TV.
ADDITIONAL 2018 HUSKIES AND RAMS GAMES AVAILABLE ON SASKTEL MAXTV
- Friday, Sept. 7 / Regina vs. Alberta / Foote Field / Edmonton, AB / 7 p.m. MDT
- Saturday, Sept. 29 / Regina vs. Manitoba / Investors Group Field / Winnipeg, MB / 2 p.m. CDT
- Saturday, Sept. 29 / Saskatchewan vs. Calgary / McMahon Stadium / Calgary, AB / 1 p.m. MDT
- Friday, Oct. 12 / Saskatchewan vs. UBC / Thunderbird Stadium / Vancouver, BC / 6 p.m. PDT
NOTE: All games above are available only on SaskTel maxTV, and Canada West TV.