Big second quarter leads Pronghorns to victory

Big second quarter leads Pronghorns to victory

Eoin Colquhoun, Pronghorn Athletics


Lethbridge – Thanks to a big second quarter, the Lethbridge Pronghorn men's basketball team rebounded from a Thursday night loss, and earned a weekend split in a home-and-home series with the Mount Royal Cougars, with an 83-60 victory.


Thursday night in Calgary, the Cougars broke open a close game with a 17-2 run late in the second quarter to pace the Cougar to a win in their home opener. Saturday night, the 'Horns returned the favor with a 21-8 second quarter to turn the game in their favor.


In almost a carbon copy of Thursday night's series opener, the Pronghorns and Cougars played a tight opening quarter, the difference Saturday night, was the Cougars taking a one point lead, 19-18 into the second.


The win improves the 'Horns record to 3-1 on the season, while the Cougars fall to 1-1.


Four of the Pronghorns five starters hit for double digits with Zac Overwater leading all scorers with 24 points. Mike Pierzchala chipped in with 20 points and completed the double-double with 14 rebounds. Elliot Sentance and Dejon Burdeaux picked up 16 and 13 points respectively.


For the Cougars, it was a tough shooting night as a team hitting only 32% from the floor and when 5 for 22 from behind the arc. Derek Wolf finished the night with a team high 15 points, while Ryan Cunningham and Brett Layton each had 13.


Again both teams had stretches of hot shooting, the 'Horns finished the quarter 9 for 17 and despite the Cougars shooting a lower percentage (41%), three made shots from behind the arch had the visitors in front.


Derek Wolf led all scorers in the quarter with 9 points, going three-for-four from the field, including two long range balls. Zac Overwater had six for the 'Horns in the first 10 minutes.


The second quarter was a much different story with the 'Horns pouring in 24 points and holding the Cougars to eight and went into the break with a 42-27 lead. The 'Horns remained hot from the floor, hitting 19-33 in the half, including four long balls. The Cougars, on the other hand only made three field goals in the second quarter and finished the half only shooting 30% (10-33)


Third-year Pronghorns Overwater and Mike Pierzchala were the story for the 'Horns in the opening half, each scoring 16 points to lead all scorers.


Out of the break, the Cougars looking to get back into the game, scoring the period's first five points and held the 'Horns scoreless for the first four minutes of the quarter, cutting the 'Horns lead back to 11 points.


After a slow start in the third quarter, the 'Horns responded in the second part of the quarter, answering back with a 17-8 run to push the lead to 20 points and regained control of Saturday night's game. When the dust settled, the 'Horns held a 65-47 lead heading into the final quarter.


The 'Horns continued to pour in the baskets early in the fourth to put the game out of reach, expanding the lead to 25 points and the 'Horns cruised to 23 point win.


The 'Horns will head out on the road next week, traveling to Winnipeg to face the Winnipeg Wesmen. The Cougars will also head out on the road, heading west to take on the UBC Okanagan Heat.