Cougars survive scare to win in overtime

Cougars survive scare to win in overtime

Brendan Stasiewich, Mount Royal Sports Information


CALGARY- The Mount Royal Cougars (5-4) took down the Brandon Bobcats (3-8) by a score of 95-86 in an OT nail-biter Friday night on Kenyon court.


Brett Layton scored 24 points and brought down 16 rebounds for the Cougars while teammates Josh Ross, Derek Wolf and Glen Yang all played essential parts late in the game for Mount Royal.


Meanwhile, Earl Thompson Jr. finished the game with 23 points for the visitors while Tyvon Cooper scored 21.


Layton started the game strong for the Cougars knocking down three of his first four shots to give the home team an early lead. However, the Cougars quickly cooled off as Earl Thompson Jr. and Tyler Anderson pushed the pace for the Bobcats who would take a 13-10 lead after six minutes of play.


The Bobcats led at the end of the first quarter 18-15 due in part to the Cougars poor long range shooting. The home team ended the quarter just 1-11 from the three points line, making just 22 per cent of their total field goals.


Despite being badly outshot, the Cougars trailed by just three points midway through the second quarter thanks to two straight three-pointers by Tyis Yellow Horn. Charm Gill would then drive to the hoop, drawing contact before laying in a miracle shot to equal the game at 29.


With just over thirty seconds remaining in the half and the Cougars down one, Craig Martin made the last points of the half, draining a three-pointer to put the Cougars up two going into the second half.


The third quarter went back and fourth with neither team able to solidify much of a lead. Earl Thompson Jr. pulled up from several feet outside the arc early in the quarter to give the Bobcats some much-needed points. The Cougars responded minutes later when Charn Gill pulled up and made his own three-pointer from the corner.


The Cougars managed to get some separation late in the third when Derek Wolf and Josh Ross made three-pointers on two straight possessions to give the Cougars an eight-point lead with a minute left in the quarter.  


With time ticking down, Gill found a wide open Ross at the three points line who made no mistake, finishing off Mount Royal's 12-point run to end the third leading 61-49.


The Bobcats were able to cut the Cougars lead to six early in the fourth after another deep Thompson Jr. three. A few minutes later Chris Stanhope would make the Bobcats' eighth three-pointer of the game to cut the lead to four.


With a minute remaining in the game Pookie Saunders was able to make a beautiful put-back at the net to knot the game at 80 with a minute remaining.


The Bobcats defense would hold tight on the Cougars' next possession and draw a shot clock violation, taking hold of the ball with 36 seconds remaining.


Off a missed shot the Bobcats would make a clutch offensive rebound before the ball went off a Cougar seconds later with 14 seconds remaining in both the game and on the shot clock.


Electing to let the clock tick down instead of trying to get the ball inside or draw a foul, Tyvon Cooper attempted to make a buzzer beater from the three point line that narrowly missed, sending the game to overtime.


Glen Yang took the game over in OT for the Cougars, knocking down nine points including a three-pointer to take a four-point lead with under a minute remaining in the extra frame.


After a good defensive stand on the other end, Nick Tancon knocked down one of two free throws to give his team a five-point lead. The Cougars would make another defensive stand, grabbing a rebound before Yang would take a foul and knock down both shots to give his team a seven-point cushion.


That was all the Cougars would need as they would let the clock tick down to 0, winning their first game of 2017, 95-86.


The two teams will reconvene tomorrow evening at 6 P.M. on Kenyon Court.