MBB: WolfPack snap losing streak at Kenyon Court

MBB: WolfPack snap losing streak at Kenyon Court

Zachary Worden, Cougar Athletics

CALGARY – The second game of the weekend series between the Mount Royal University Cougars and Thompson Rivers University WolfPack tipped off Saturday night at Kenyon Court.
The WolfPack were able to bounce back with a 65-61 win after losing the first game on Friday night. Both teams struggled to convert their shots on the night as both teams struggled to put up points on the offensive end.

The WolfPack used the trio of Joe Davis, Mike Rouault and Luke Morris to take the victory, as all three finished with double-doubles. Davis ended with 14 points and 11 rebounds, Rouault had 14 points and 11 rebounds and Morris scored 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds.
The Cougars had four players score in double-digits as Nick Tancon, Noah Lewis, Josh Ross and Charn Gill all contributed on the offensive end. Tancon led the way with 13 points and was also able to collect seven rebounds, Ross also pitched in on the glass with nine rebounds of his own. The Cougars struggled from all three levels only managing 31% from the field, 19% from three and 52% from the free-throw line.

The two teams started the game going back and forth, trading baskets trying to gain an edge. The two teams looked inside early as Tancon had eight points for the Cougars and Davis had seven for the WolfPack. Neither team could take a lead bigger than two points as the lead continued to change hands throughout the first quarter. After a last-second layup by Morris, the WolfPack took a one-point lead heading to the second.

The tight battle continued into the second quarter as both teams tried to break through and build a lead. The WolfPack got all their scoring from Davis, Morris and Rouault in the half as the trio shot 12 for 21 to carry the load on offense. Both teams struggled with their three-point shooting, combining to make three on 29 attempts. The WolfPack were able to grow their lead once the first half had finished taking a 31-26 lead.

The WolfPack came out of the halftime break looking to expand their lead and take control of the game. The defensive affair continued through the third as both teams struggled from the field. The WolfPack were able to grow their lead into double-digits as the Cougars struggled to convert from the field shooting five per cent in the quarter. The WolfPack were able to hold the Cougars to single digits for the second straight quarter and take a 45-34 lead into the final quarter.

The Cougars came into the fourth and were able to cut the WolfPack lead down to six after a 7-2 run, as they looked to get back into the game. The WolfPack were able to respond to the Cougar run by going on an 8-1 run of their led by two made threes. The Cougars kept battling heading down the stretch, keeping the game within reach. They were able to cut the WolfPack lead to six with two and a half minutes remaining. After a tough shooting night, the Cougar shots started to fall, sparking their comeback effort. Lewis made two threes down the stretch to cut their deficit to four in the final minute. The WolfPack were able to hold off the Cougars and split the series with a four-point win.

The Cougars don't play again until the new year, as they will head to Regina on January 5th. The WolfPack will return home for their final series of 2017, facing off against the University of Northern British Columbia Timberwolves. All games will be streamed live on www.canadawest.tv.