Pearce, Dinos take overtime decision over Cougars

Pearce, Dinos take overtime decision over Cougars

University of Regina Sports Information

REGINA - The University of Regina men's hockey team fell 2-1 in overtime against the Calgary Dinos in Canada West action at The Co-operators Centre on Friday night.

Elgin Pearce scored his Canada West-leading 17th and 18th goals of the season in the win, while Cody Fowlie replied for the Cougars.

After a scoreless opening period it was the Cougars who got on the board first, thanks to Fowlie's fifth of the season at the 6:41 mark. Tyler Bell tracked down the puck behind the net and batted it out front, where it fell right onto the stick of Fowlie in the slot. The Cougar captain ripped a wrist shot that beat Matthew Greenfield upstairs and put the Cougars up 1-0. Ian McNulty also assisted on the goal, as he and Bell each picked up their eighth assists of the Canada West campaign.

The Cougar lead would last less than three minutes, as Pearce found himself free in front of Mitch Kilgore and was able to knock in a rebound after a long shot from Chris Collins. Dylan Busenius also earned a helper on the goal.

Corey Kosloski was awarded a penalty shot late in the second period after being hauled down on the break by a Dino defender, but the puck jumped off his stick and he was unable to get a quality shot off to break the tie.

After a slow start to the third period, the Cougars were sent to the powerplay with 2:20 left in regulation after Austin Bourhis was hauled down along the left boards on the break. The home team put a couple of shots on net with the best chance coming off the stick of McNulty, but Greenfield was able to keep the puck in front of him.

Overtime started with a bang as Fowlie had a great chance on a two-on-one with McNulty but his pass sailed just out of the reach of the fourth-year forward. Calgary immediately countered with a rush of their own that saw a wide open shot from the side of the net get deflected just wide. McNulty was behind the play as the Cougars scooped up the puck but his potential breakaway was for not as Fowlie's long pass went just past his stick for an icing call.

Just after the wild scramble, Bourhis was sent off for kneeing and Calgary made quick work on the powerplay. After taking a feed from behind the net from Parker Bowles, Pearce took his time and went post and in for the game winner. Cain Franson also got an assist as Calgary moved to 17-9-1.

Kilgore was stellar in net, making 37 saves for the Cougars (3-21-3). Greenfield earned his eighth win with 22 saves.

The Cougars and Dinos will face off again on Saturday, with puck drop scheduled for 3 p.m. at The Co-operators Centre.