Canada West Communications
- Following the self-disclosure of an ineligible player, the University of Calgary Dinos men’s hockey team has forfeited six Canada West games during the 2017-18 season
- Calgary filed the self-disclosure with U SPORTS, which sets national eligibility regulations, earlier this month
EDMONTON – The University of Calgary Dinos men’s hockey program has forfeited six conference games during the 2017-18 season, Canada West announced Thursday.
Calgary forfeits games played on Oct. 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, and 21 after the Dinos self-disclosed an ineligible player. The Dinos became aware that the player was potentially ineligible in late October and immediately removed him from competition. An oversight during Calgary’s student-athlete intake and eligibility process over the summer led to the player competing. Calgary has committed to a full review of these processes in the New Year. The U SPORTS discipline panel will be setting parameters on any review and required structural changes.
“The Athletic Department takes full responsibility for the error. It strongly believes in and fully supports the rules and regulations that are in place within U SPORTS,” says Dean Penny Werthner, Faculty of Kinesiology University of Calgary. “Athletics will undertake a full review of its eligibility and student-athlete intake process.”
A self-disclosure of the eligibility issue was submitted by the Dinos earlier this month to U SPORTS, which sets national eligibility regulations, after UCalgary discovered the student-athlete did not meet U SPORTS eligibility regulations.
U SPORTS may apply additional sanctions upon completion of its process in the New Year
As per Canada West regulations, the six forfeited games will be recorded as 1-0 results for Calgary’s opponents, and individual player statistics from the games – save for those attributed to the ineligible player – will remain intact.
Due to Calgary’s forfeiture of games, the Canada West standings have changed. The up to date CW standings, as well as a list of the forfeited games, are listed below.
UPDATED CANADA WEST STANDINGS
Team / W-L-OTL / Points (point change)
1. Alberta / 15-1-0 / 30 (no change)
2. Saskatchewan / 13-2-1 / 27 (no change)
3. Manitoba / 9-5-2 / 20 (no change)
4. UBC / 7-8-1 / 15 (+4 pts.)
5. Lethbridge / 7-8-1 / 15 (+2 pts)
6. Mount Royal / 6-9-1 / 13 (no change)
7. Calgary / 4-10-2 / 10 (-8 pts.)
8. Regina / 3-11-2 / 8 (no change)
FORFEITED UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY CANADA WEST GAMES
Date / Opponent / Original result
Friday, Oct. 6, 2017 / vs. Lethbridge / 4-1 Calgary
Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017 / @ Lethbridge / 2-1 OT Lethbridge
Friday, Oct. 13, 2017 / @ UBC / 6-1 Calgary
Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017 / @ UBC / 7-0 Calgary
Friday, Oct. 20, 2017 / vs. Alberta / 7-5 Alberta
Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017 / @ Alberta / 3-2 OT Alberta