T-Birds End Eight Game Losing Skid In 2OT

T-Birds End Eight Game Losing Skid In 2OT

Max Sturley, Dinos Communications

CALGARY – The University of British Columbia Thunderbirds' losing streak is over at eight games, as they defeated the University of Calgary Dinos, 3-2 in double overtime, Friday evening at the Father David Bauer Arena.

UBC started off on the right foot, as they opened the scoring on their first shot of the game. Raymond Grewal, usually a defender but playing forward tonight, cashed in on a rebound opportunity, right on the doorstep of Dinos netminder, Jordan Papirny. For Grewal, the tally was his first career USPORTS goal, coming in his 42nd game.

Despite outshooting UBC, Calgary was unable to beat goaltender Matt Hewitt, who made eleven first period stops. The Dinos best chance to score in the period came from a powerplay, in which Hewitt was assessed a tripping call.

In the second period, the Dinos found an opening via the powerplay. Veteran forward Adam Kambeitz scored his first goal of the season in style. In tight, Kambeitz took a pass from Matt Alfaro before going to his forehand to roof the puck, tying the game 1-1.

Despite a run and gun game continuing for both teams, the score remained tied heading into the third.

UBC controlled the play from the outset of the third, hemming the Dinos in the offensive zone on multiple occasions, holding them to just one shot through the first half of the period. Despite their strong play, it was the Dinos that took their first lead of the game.

Right after a neutral zone turnover, Calgary forward Riley Sheen made his way to the right faceoff circle before dragging and wristing the puck past Hewitt blocker side, making it 2-1. Sheen's sneaky wrister was also his first of the season.

A late Dinos penalty would give the Thunderbirds an opening to tie it. Tyler Sandhu and Jerret Smith played catch before Smith wired a shot from the blueline, which took a deflection off Austin Vetterl. His ninth marker of the season, made it 2-2 late, forcing overtime.

The first overtime period was back and forth, but scoreless. The best chance from either side came from defender Drydn Dow. On a 2-on-1 with Sheen, Dow couldn't handle the cross ice feed.

Jumping to 3-on-3, Thunderbirds forward Nick Buonassisi ended the game, wiring a wrist shot past the glove of Papirny, marking a 3-2 final.

"There are some positives there, but at this time of year and the situation were in, we have to win games, said Head Coach Mark Howell. "We can't give teams points. We're two minutes away from a win, it's tough to lose the way we did."
These teams will face off again tomorrow for a matinee game at the Father David Bauer Arena.


Photo by David Moll