WHKY: Bisons win shootout thriller over Cougars

WHKY: Bisons win shootout thriller over Cougars

University of Regina Sports Information

REGINA - Karissa Kirkup scored the shootout winner as the Manitoba Bisons topped the University of Regina women's hockey team 4-3 at The Co-operators Centre on Saturday afternoon.

Sheridan Oswald, Lauryn Keen and Kirkup scored in regulation for the No. 2-ranked Bisons. Jordan Kulbida, Jaycee Magwood and Emma Waldenberger replied for the Cougars.

The two teams put on an impressive display of talent in the shootout, as the first five shooters all found the net. After Kirkup beat Morgan Baker to the forehand it came down to the final shooter, but Emily Middagh lost the handle on a deke and the Bisons escaped with a win.

Baker and Lauren Taraschuk were both solid on Saturday, with Baker making 27 saves and Taraschuk stopping 28 Cougar efforts.

The first goal for the Bisons came just 3:48 into Saturday's contest, as Natahsha Kostenko fed a pass in front and it got through to Sheridan Oswald. The third-year forward slipped a low shot between the pads of Baker to put the Bisons on the board.

Regina replied at the 12:54 mark as Kulbida was sent in all alone by a long pass from Magwood and picked her spot, rifling a wrist shot past the glove of Taraschuk on the breakaway.

Magwood put the Cougars ahead midway through the second period, sending a low shot towards Taraschuk that slipped through the goaltender's pad and barely trickled across the red line. 

Manitoba regained momentum in the latter part of the second period, following a Waldenberger roughing penalty. The Cougars killed off the powerplay, but Manitoba drew even with just over a minute left in the frame. Keen was the goal scorer, positioning herself in the crease and deflecting a shot from Taryn Kokesch by Baker.

The Cougars had their first powerplay opportunity early in the third period, and wasted no time capitalizing. Waldenberger took a feed from Emily Middagh and went down the left wing, evading a Bison defender before sending a missile of a shot over Taraschuk's shoulder.

The back-and-forth action continued as Kirkup scored her second goal of the weekend. Kirkup raced up the right side of the ice and went to the backhand, beating Baker with a high shot to even the score again.

After a scoreless first overtime period, the Cougars and Bisons went to a wild three-on-three double overtime. Allison Sexton had the best chance for the Bisons, taking a saucer pass and going in alone on Baker. Her move to the backhand had Baker down but the shot missed the net.

The Cougars move to 3-2-0-1 with the shootout result. Manitoba improves to 3-2-1-0.

The Cougars will prepare for a home-and-home weekend against the Saskatchewan Huskies next weekend while Manitoba will return home to play host to Mount Royal.